Thursday, August 1, 2013

These heels were made for walking!

Before leaving the house for the airport at a bit before 6AM, I glanced out of the window to try and make sure that I wouldn’t cross paths with my neighbor and friend across the street. I didn’t figure it would be an issue since he normally leaves for work at about 530 AM, so I was kind of surprised to see that his car was still parked there. That’s not such a big deal these days though as I am driving my classic Mustang, which I keep parked inside of the garage. I just warm her up, and then hit the automatic door opener and I’m off in a flash!  
I got a few miles down the road though, when I thought that I saw his car coming up behind me. It occurred to me that if he passed me, the rabbit was gonna be WAY outta the hat, because there was no way he wasn’t gonna notice the Mustang. In the past, if we had passed each other while I was driving my F150, that one could have been played off, because the F150 is about the most common car on the road. When you’re driving an antique car though, not mention an antique car that he had personally bled his knuckles working on, there wasn’t gonna be any confusing it for someone else's. I was already doing 70MPH in a 65 zone, and sat there contemplating flooring it to be sure that he couldn’t pull alongside. After all, there are a few advantages to driving a sports car, and one of them is the option of going fast if you wanna! Still, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it was a bad idea. I was already speeding, and if I got pulled over going much faster, it could be a very awkward and expensive morning, so I chose to just suck it up and deal with it. If it was him, he and I would have to have a talk when I got home, and that was all there was to it. You wouldn’t believe the terror and relief that flooded through me when the car passed me and I saw that not only was it not my neighbor, but was in fact a Texas Highway patrol! If I’d been stupid and floored it, I would have been nailed! Every once in a while I get lucky and make the right call.

Once I got my car parked at the airport, I headed for the elevator and was relieved to see a gentleman already in it and holding it for me. As it started to rise to the third floor, he looked at my huge suitcase and then at me.
“Wow, with a bag like that, you must be going on a long trip!” he said with a smile.
“Well, it’s either that, or I just carry a lot of clothes!” I replied, and was happy to see him give an honest laugh.

After I checked in with the airline, I made my way to the TSA inspection area and traded a few words with the inspector there.  He’s been working there for as far back as I can recall, so he and I definitely recognized each other.  I asked him about the new “TSA Prescreened” process, and he told me that his check point wasn’t equipped for it, but that if I wanted to, I could go down to the next checkpoint.
“Nah, I’m already here, so I’ll just deal with it! Thanks you so much for the info though!” I told him.
“You’re most welcome sir!” he replied with a bright and friendly smile. 
“Sir” he had said. . .
“POOF” vanished any hope or self-delusion that I might have actually been passing this morning. Oh well . . .

I had a long walk to make it to my connection in the Salt Lake City airport and so found myself walking on several very long moving walkways. If you have never seen them, just imagine a flat escalator and you will have the picture. As I was stepping off of the second of these walkways, a young lady stepped along side of me.
“You know I’ve gotta say that I’m impressed!” she told me with a friendly gleam in her eyes.
“Really?” I laughed. “How so?”
“Those are some tall and pointed heels you’re wearing and I kind of expected you to have some trouble with them.” 
“Nah, it just takes practice, practice, practice!” I giggled.

When I got to my gate, I didn’t have more than a couple of minutes before they started boarding, and so soon I was handing my ticket to the Delta rep at the gate. As usual, she passed it under the bar code reader, it beeped, and she wished me a happy flight. I had gotten maybe twenty feet down the ramp when she started calling out behind me.
“Ma’am!?” she called out to me. I turned and walked back to her.
“I’m so sorry. What was your first name please?” she asked, looking both contrite and confused at the same time. OK, so then and there I knew what she had called me back for – the first name that her machine had helpfully displayed for her, clearly didn’t belong associated with a female. There were about thirty people gathered right around her, so I really didn’t want to blurt out my first name as she had asked.
“My last name is Huddle.” I told her with a smile.
“Ah! Ok, I got it!” She said with a relieved laugh. I’m guessing that a good look at me, along with my voice and confirming my last name, was enough explanation for her to figure out what I was. Funny, I started the day off absolutely certain that I wasn’t fooling anyone, and yet here was obvious proof that she at least had had no clue that I was transgendered. Go figure . . . 

I had failed to qualify for an upgrade to first class on this trip, and so I was flying in the back in what I like to fondly call the “cattle class”. I’d just stored my things away and made myself comfortable when I heard the flight attendant talking to two rather large women a few rows up from me. From what I could gather, the bulkhead seat that one of them had been given, was a bit different from the rest of the seats in that instead of having a center arm between the seats that could be lifted out of the way if desired, the seats had a solid and permanent divider between them.  Given the size of the woman, not being able to lift the center divider out of the way was gonna be a problem.  I guess I was too obvious in paying attention to the conversation, because the flight attendant saw me looking their way and stepped back to me.
“Miss, would you mind changing seats with her so that they can sit together? The other lady is in the seat next to you.”
“No, I don’t mind at all.” I told her, and gathered my things up, and stepped forward the two or three rows. The two women look horribly embarrassed and thanked me several times as they made their way past me. As the second woman passed me, she turned around and spoke to me with a laugh in er eyes.
“It’s probably better for you anyway,” she said with a grin and with a heavy Hispanic accent, “She would have smooshed you!” I was so delighted that she was trying to keep things cheerful despite her clear discomfort and embarrassment, so I didn’t hesitate to laugh with her.
“Nah, not at all. You are most welcome.” I replied with a laugh, and patted her on the shoulder. I really did feel bad for them though, because they honestly were not that darned large. The airlines have gone way overboard these days in trying to cram more and more seats into the limited space, and even relatively slim folks are crowded and cramped. For someone with just a few extra pounds, flying must be a complete nightmare . . . 

When the rental car shuttle bus dropped me and a dozen others off at their facility, I outsmarted myself into a tour of the San Jose airports parking garage. Avis had informed me via email what space my car was in, and since I didn’t have to worry about going to the counter, I just decided to step away from the crowd headed that way and simply walk directly into the parking area. The joke was on me though as apparently the rental cars are kept several floors up, and you have to enter the area where the rental car counters are just to get to the elevator. By the time I had realized this, and discovered that there was not a single elevator in the garage area, I was pretty well committed to walking completely around the exterior of the facility until I could enter it from the other side. So much for being clever . . .

The following day I met with my customer to repair their FTIR and she started off by making me a nervous wreck when I called her from their visitor entrance.
“I’m glad you’re here!” she told me with an excited tone. “I hope you don’t mind, but we have our FTIR expert here from Michigan and she wants to watch what you are doing and ask you a few questions.”
“I don’t mind at all!” I replied with false enthusiasm, because usually this is bad news for me and for the job I have to do. Often, when a company flies their expert in to “work with me”, it means I’m going to have to multitask, and try to concentrate and figure out what is wrong, do what is needed to fix it, and all of this while explaining everything that I am doing to their expert and answering their questions. Fortunately this didn’t turn out to be so bad, and she asked reasonable questions, and seemed to understand that there were times when she would have to step off a little and let me think, and so I was actually done at about 2PM. 

I’m not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing, but my hotel in Dublin CA was only a block from a strip mall where there is a DSW shoe store, a Ross Dress for Less, and a Marshalls.  With an afternoon to myself, I chose to spend it shopping, and I found several really awesome deals! At DSW, I found a pair of $70 Mary Janes on sale for only $13! They had two straps, and this didn’t exactly delight me, but you sure couldn’t beat the price, and so they went home with me! In Ross, I found several dresses that I tried on, and three that I bought. One of them was a pretty awesome purple dress that I intended to wear for my trip home. It was a size 14 and actually just a little large for me, but not too bad, and so I grabbed it! In Marshalls I didn’t find anything for me, but I did find a couple of really cute outfits for my 10 year old daughter. I guess I did good because she gushed and squealed when she saw them.

The San Jose area is one of those places like Virginia and WA D.C. where traffic can be a real nightmare. I’ve had times where it took me two hours to go only twenty miles, and so I made sure to leave for the airport the next morning about four hours before my flight, even though the airport was only about thirty miles away. Well, either my caution was unnecessary, or traffic doesn’t start until after 6AM, because I really hit none to speak of. I was at the airport and standing at the Delta counter with more than three hours left before my 10AM flight.
“Oh hi, and welcome back! It’s been quite a while!” The Delta rep who had spoken was a young woman in her mid-twenties I’d guess, and I did not recognize her, but she had obviously recognized me!
“Well thank you! You must have one heck of a memory!” I replied. She just kind of waved at me and I realized that she was on the phone, and had apparently spoken to me during a lull in the conversation. Now though, she was clearly engaged with a customer on the other end of the line and so I just waved hello back at her.
As I made my way through the TSA inspection point, there were two young ladies standing behind me, and I am guessing that they were probably sisters. Both topped out at less than five feet tall, had long glossy hair, and the same tanned complexion. In short (forgive the pun), they were perfect and adorable.
“Now just remember not to sweat!” one of them told the other with a laugh. “That’s really nasty when you’re stuck on an airplane!”  I turned around and grinned at her.
“Oh thanks! But no pressure right?!” I told her with wink and everyone laughed. That comment came back to haunt her a few minutes later though, because as I sat on the other side of the check point putting my shoes back on, I watched her get flagged for a random inspection.
“But I’m going to miss my flight!” she gently complained to the inspector.
“Nah, this wont take more than thirty seconds and then you’ll be on your way!’ he assured her as he swabbed her hands with a cotton stick and placed it in a machine.  By this time I had my things together and as I walked past her I smiled.
“Don’t forget not to sweat!” I told her and batted my eyes at her in an exaggerated fashion to let her know I was teasing. She actually busted up laughing so I guess she thought it was amusing too. You know Karma is a bitch though, and I shouldn’t have teased her about her predicament because my day went straight downhill faster than a greased bowling ball after that.

As soon as I sat down in the gate area, I got a text from Delta telling me that my flight was seriously delayed, I was going to miss my connection, and they were trying to rebook me. Usually when I get these messages, it is complete with the new flight information and this was the first time I’d ever received one that just said that they were trying to book me on an alternate flight. This didn’t fill me with confidence and so I went ahead and called Delta.
I spent over an hour on the phone with them, and most of that time was him telling me that he didn’t have any options other than a very late flight that would get me home after midnight. Eventually, he ended up cancelling my flights entirely, and booking me on their competitor US Airways!  Now I made my way back out of the secure area and then made the long walk clear across the terminal to the US Airways counter. The man there told me that I was out of luck as far as them getting my baggage retrieved from Delta and moved to the US Airways flight, but he assured me that I had plenty of time if I wanted to go back to Delta and try to get my bags back from myself. So I made yet another very long walk to the other end of the terminal to retrieve my bags, and much to my surprise, they actually did go and get them for me. I really hadn’t thought that they would! Towing my heavy bags behind me, I yet again made the long walk clear across the terminal.
Going through the TSA checkpoint for the second time in an hour, the inspector did kind of a double take when she saw me.
“Welcome back! Long time no see!” she told me with a laugh.
“Well, you know I just enjoyed this process so much the first time that I thought I’d do it again!” I told her with a laugh, and then explained what had happened while she inspected my ID. Oh, the good news? US Airways gave me upgrades to first class on both flights! Yay!


  1. nothing like being in an antique car AND dressed in fem to put one on one's best driving behavior! LOL and this is why i finally came out to my neighbors ONE AT A TIME(i used one of my favorite pictures to show that i am a conservative dresser). it has made my life a lot easier in coming and going. also it set any chance of gossip to rest LOL
    oh and the "sir" thing sometimes is sort of like "you guys" sometimes gets applied to a group of even GG's. so i have learned to sort of zone it out.
    i soooo envy your writing style. sort of like the reader is right there beside you during the adventure. sort of like the ol' radio story tellers like Jean Shepard (red rider BB gun aka a Christmas story)
    thank you for continuing to share your adventures.

  2. Love hearing your stories - you are a good teller of tales. Keep flying, sweetie!

  3. Kim -

    The one year I didn't vacation in the Bay area.... We could have met! ;-)

    Being serious, I won't worry about the occasional "Sir" - I've had it happen to me (once or twice), and it doesn't phase me. To make things easier for me, I've been practicing raising my voice half an octave and keeping it there for hours. With a minor slip up or two, I'm doing it. But now I have to start practicing female vocal patterns. Do you do anything similar with your voice?


    1. Not really. I just talk relatively softly and try to put as little bass as I can into my voice.

  4. Hi Kimberly, I have off and on followed your blog and it has reminded me of several times I have traveled in girl mode. It is still fun for me but I don't travel anywhere as much as you so could understand you getting bored with it. I think I have had the most fun talking with other passengers during the flight and being open about being TG if the opportunity presents itself. Often I am traveling to or from a TG conference so they might ask where I was going and I would be very open about it.
    I do enjoy your great story telling so hope you continue to share your adventures.
    Oh, I am getting up there in age myself so am bummed at times that I don't think I look as good as I might have but then out of the blue someone comments about how nice I look and I think to myself that maybe I am being to hard on myself.
    You look very pretty and elegant so keep up the good work, and I know it is a lot of work! :)

  5. Another interesting adventure. I am sure that flying pretty will always make the task of travel that much nicer. Travel in the new age is not geting any easier. Yesterday I had to do a quick run down and back to Atlanta. 7 AM flight out stayed on the runway for an extra hour due to weather in route. On the way home the Air Tran flight was delayed over 2 hours.
    THe seats in some carriers, especially Air Tran, seem just too small for me when dressed in drab. I can barely move let along cross my legs. I do not think I could fit at all if I had on 3" heels.

  6. Kim:

    Your June 14th blog scared the hell out of me. Here, only a couple months after you shared your travel tips with me, giving me the borrowed courage to travel twice en femme within a short period of time (first ever in my 62 years), with horror in my heart I read that your faith in yourself is faltering. OMG, my world was collapsing like a back hole as I read about your strength and power seemingly weakening like Supergirl eating a Kryptonite candy bar.

    Today I read a story by the old Kimmy! Almost brought tears to my eyes. If I can travel, head held high at 62, then my mentor can do it still, and you did in grand style and with grace.

    This story was great, capturing all the passion, detail, doubts, strengths, and self-assuredness of those days of yore. Welcome back and you rock, girl!

    Best regards,

    1. Awe . . . sweet comment Rhonda - thank you! :)

  7. Hi Kim

    Wow next time you are in San Jose try to get to Carla's Botique on Race St.

    Hugs Diane

  8. Glad to have you back! I wouldn't worry too much about the "Sir" although it is a pain, after all surely he had seen your i.d. just put it down to not understanding.

  9. yeah you are saying right San Jose is very reliable in travelling all the roads are very good. We can drive our vehicle as fast as we can and travel distance of more than 200 Km in just 15-20 minutes.

  10. you have some awesome stories, kimberly! and congrats on getting upgraded to first class. and kimberly, in my book, you pass perfectly fine!