Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Make it so . . .


Ok, I know that you all sit with baited breath waiting for me to review TV shows and movies, so here are my latest opinions. Being a life long Star Trek fan who also happens to be quarantined during a world wide pandemic, I signed up for the free 30 day trial of CBS All Access just so I could binge watch the new Star Trek series "Picard" and "Star Trek Discovery." 
While dipping into darkness here and there, I think that "Picard" remained relatively true to Star Trek. The story is good, the acting is outstanding, and the characters are real and believable. I'd give it a 7 or maybe 8 out of 10 and considered it worth watching.  "Star Trek Discovery" on the other hand . .  . 
What to say that will get my point across without spoiling it for anyone? I pretty much hate it. They threw everything that Star Trek stood for, the very core principles, out of the window.  Not that I suppose I have the right to speak for all Star Trek fans, but I’ve always felt that most diehard fans weren’t just in it for the shiny space ships and “pew pew” weapons. Many of us loved what the show and it’s characters portrayed and represented – that the human race had grown up, devoted itself to worthy and lofty goals of Science, exploration, and the betterment of all life, human and otherwise. These are the very core principles of the Star Trek universe and “Discovery” threw them right out of the window. We have Star Fleet officers who very quickly choose to commit mutiny against their beloved captains when they feel that captain has made the wrong decision. We have multiple occasions where officers totally ignore their orders and duty when those orders got in the way of what they wanted to do. Cases where they utterly disregard their oath, duty, and shipmates because they thought their family issues were more important. What’s worse is that the show repeatedly rewards this behavior, ultimately patting these people on the back while whispering “There there! It’s all right that you threw your shipmates and duty under the bus in order to chase after your mom/dad/sister/brother. Since it was so personally important to you, we will act as if it’s acceptable and tolerable that you forgot all about duty, honor, and integrity.” OK, so they disregarded and degraded everything that was beautiful and altruistic about Star Fleet and the people in it, so what about those shiny space ships that I mentioned earlier? Yeah, they messed that up too. Now a starship runs on plants and spores that permeate the universe on multiple dimensions and is essentially the source of all life in the universe. Can you say “Use the Force Spock, use the force?!”  It’s now more of a fantasy show than a science fiction.  
I might have somewhat enjoyed this program if they had made it in it’s own stand alone universe, but they didn’t do that. They defiled my beloved Star Trek and its bright future with their petty people and their fantasy star ship that runs on the force, and it pisses me off. When this is all over, I expect most Star Trek fans will look back on this show and refuse to acknowledge it, much like the way Ford Mustang fans look back at the mid-1970’s abomination that Ford tried to call a Mustang. You can slap all of the Mustang emblems on that little God-awful Pinto that you can fit, but it still aint a Mustang, and this isn’t Star Trek. On a scale of 1 to 10 I’d give Star Trek Discovery about a negative 3.
All right people, let’s make this shit happen. Let’s bring about the future portrayed by Star Trek by caring for more than just ourselves. Let’s reach for the lofty goals and be worthy of attaining them. Make it so . . .

10 comments:

  1. I appreciate your insight. I have wanted to watch both shows and this is good info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberley,
    Lucky you are not a fan of the British series Dr Who.
    Through approximately twelve regenerations,
    the time travelling Time Lord has always been male.
    Well the BBC had to have a female Dr Who at any cost.
    Unsurprisingly, the ratings have plummeted.
    Characters and institutions have an integrity.
    Abandon that, and it is pointless, even as entertainment.
    Best Wishes,
    Penny from Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH! I AM Indeed a Dr Who fan! I thought Peter Capaldi was absolutely perfect for the role, but would have to agree that I'm not really loving the new Doctor. In the interests of full disclosure though, I've disliked most of the Doctors when new, and they have all grown on me over time.

      Delete
    2. Most of us who have watched the Doctor from the beginning (I do remember watching the very first episode when it was first broadcast) will have "Our Doctor" for me it is Patrick Troughton, of the "new" Doctors David Tennant was outstanding. The problem with Jodie Whittaker, isn't that she's a woman, it's all down to the writing.

      Delete
  3. oh...and seeing the image at the top I thought you were going to say you'd bought an MII!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the season finally of Picard and I'm hoping that they have a season 2 in the works. I can see how well his new crew works together even though they do have their differences. It is a well written series that demands a continuation. As for STD I will wait and see.
    Penny brought up the Dr. Who dilemma. I tried watching several shows in the beginning and found the new doctor to be hard to understand both her language and her being all over the place trying to solve the problems she faced with. The supporting cast members even seem to have a hard time keeping up with her. I guess the days of keeping integrity in the story line have all but gone away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear the new writers ambition exceeds either their ability or their time constraints.

      Delete
  5. Snap out of it, girlfriend... It's 2021, time to get back to normal.... ish..

    Karren Hutton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly:
    It's been almost a year since you last posted. I sincerely hope you are well, and surviving this what-ever-it-is 'pandemic'. I miss your sincerity and your adventures 'Flying Pretty'. I check your site almost daily hoping to hear you are OK and surviving.
    Regards,
    Jennifer in Washington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Kim's posts as well. But in the age of Covid, I wonder how (or if) Kim has been able to travel pretty. Hopefully, she'll have something to say soon....

      Delete